How did the season wrap up? We did ok.
Interesting this year as all our lines were on vacuum with the exception of one line of 10 taps, which were gravity fed to a barrel. The gravity line didn’t produce enough sap for 1 litre of syrup. The vacuum lines at least kept us average. So we have been able to fulfill all of our orders.
We are now 5 weeks post fire and wrapping the season up. Syrup has all been bottled, and deliveries are still going out with most people having picked up their orders already, and a few to be shipped out today. Thank you everyone for your orders!
We ran a fundraiser last week to help us rebuild the sugar house and had some amazing participation. As we finish cleaning up the equipment for the year, we will also be cleaning out the sugar house in preparation for the rebuild.
The project will commence with putting plywood over the evaporator to protect it, replacing any and all melted electrical wire so that we may re-establish electrical to the building. Then removing all charred and compromised wood and steel. Replacing them with new materials. Rebuilding the cupola and facing with steel sheeting. A spark arrestor will be added to the chimney.
There are a few improvements to the operation that we are intending to complete this summer, along with an expansion of the vacuum lines, and a transfer pump in the pump house to move sap up to the sugar house automatically.
I will post here as we complete some of the projects and add video updates to the YouTube channel as well.
Michael & Jennifer